Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Friday, August 13, 2004

TRYGOD

As I was driving today, I found myself behind a car whose license plate read "TRYGOD" next to the "Forgiven" and "Grandmas Rock!" bumper stickers. I found myself wondering about this missive.


Was it directed to me, the average motorist, who might be contemplating her problems, seeking an answer? Was it intended to be the manifestation of a sign for those seeking guidance with nowhere else to turn? Did this grandma in her volvo have in mind to turn heads and hearts with her vanity plates? And if so, which god? Being that the "Forgiven" bumper sticker was right next to the message, I assumed she was Christian, but would a Muslim or a Jew assume she was? What would a Buddhist or a Hindu think on looking at her car? Would they think the message was meant for them as well? Would they find comfort in its grandmotherly suggestion, or would they find it offensive?


What if, in fact, the message were not meant for any mortal. What if it were a plea to the divine not to give up on his earthly children? What if those metal letters were a prayer, asking the almighty for his best efforts, which is, after all, all anyone can ask? Was it a request for something in particular? Try to help people learn to use their turn signals, or try to stop the war, or try to feed the children, or try not to forget us or blame us for our infantile ignorance.


Does this grandma in her Volvo know the spiritual controversy she's sparked in me? No. She drives along oblivious, silently urging us one and all to simply try.


1 comment:

A. Diabetic Person said...

I was driving behind a Volvo this morning sporting a bumper sticker that said "Love my cat."
This sparked a similar controversy with me. I refused to be commanded to love someone's cat. I mean, I love your cat because I know her and lived with her, and stuck with her despite her illegal substance abuse issuess. But the sheer fact that this person was ordering me to love his or her cat made me hate the cat automatically. Had I not been ordered to love it, would I have indeed loved it? Possibly. But now I'll never know, thanks to this directive on someone's bumper.
Thank you.