Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Thursday, October 21, 2004

#3: Where does nougat come from?

And I quote:

Like falafel and the number "0," nougat is a product of Middle Eastern genius.

The creamy goodness of chocolate bar fame was originally a mixture of honey, nuts and spices. It migrated southeast a bit to Greece where it lost the spices and became known as "nugo."

But it didn't become the candy-lover's dream that we know today until the French decided to put their own spin on it, bastardizing the name to "nougat," switching the ground walnuts for almonds, and adding the secret ingredient -- beaten egg whites -- to achieve that cloud of ooey gooey goodness that we know and love.

Of course, if the only nougat you're familiar with comes in a Snickers bar or a Russel Stover multi-pack, you've only tasted the chewier, less almond-y second cousin to true nougat. The best of the stuff only comes from Montelimar, France and is good enough to make even a French candy maker swoon.

2 comments:

A. Diabetic Person said...

Thank you SO much for posting this!!!
You have no idea how long I've wondered "What exactly IS nougat?" I mean I would still eat it, but my suspicions would keep me from enjoying it to its full nougat capacities.
Those days are over now. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Perhaps I can retrieve some true French nougat when I'm on my honeymoon for further nougat related reconaissance. It's my new mission...