Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Sunday, July 02, 2006

livin' the dream

You are looking at a bona fide new member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators -- an international group of like minded writers working in (or toward) the children's market. I've got a membership card and everything.

I've been thinking about joining this society for over a year now, ever since I attended the Children's Writer's Bootcamp and found out about the organization. I kept putting it off, and putting it off, but when I saw that they were having their summer conference in LA in August, I knew the time had come.

So, I not only registered to become a member of the Society, I also registered for the conference! August 4-7, I will be up in LA learning all about what it means to be a working children's writer. Now my only dilemma is which workshops to go to during each session -- "35 Writing Secrets for Beginners" or "How to Write a Bestselling Series?" "Writing Characters Who Will Make Your Readers Laugh and Cry" or "Channeling Your Inner Teen?" The possibilities are endless.

In fact, I may try to find someone (or several someones) online who might be interested in sharing notes. That way, I can go to "Writing Young Adult Literature: Seven and a Half Truths" while they go to "Naughty or Nice: WhatÂ’s Happening inYA Novels" and then we can share the wealth.

No comments: