Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Ramblin'

Well, I had planned to write a review of "Love Actually" today, but I'm just not quite feeling up to it and since it is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest romantic comedies of all time (a preview of the review to come...), I felt it deserved more than a half-assed attempt at assessment. (That was quite a bit of alliteration there...)

I attribute my malaise to the fact that it has been a wild and wooly week (even more alliteration) here in the land of Lacy (I think I'm on a roll). After having spent months -- literally MONTHS -- working on building a program, my boss had a brainstorm and came up with an easier way to do it. This is hunky dory with me, don't get me wrong, but all of the sudden, where I once could get away with goofing off several hours of the day, I now have lists and lists of things to accomplish. And I'm actually accomplishing some of them, which is even wilder. Today, for example, I made no less than three lists, in various forms, on various shapes, sizes, and colors of paper. I try to be good about transferring these to my one master list contained in my Outlook program, but sometimes they get away from me.

And if I weren't busy enough with all the newfound business, I am still doing disaster recovery, so I get, on average, at least one person a day calling or emailing with panic that they've had the dreaded "Too many different cell formats" error, which denotes utter destruction in its simple, understated way. I no longer panic at the sight of this error. I'm a battle hardened IT tech: nothing scares me anymore! Or, at least not the errors that I know I can fix.

Invariably, however, the panic quickly turns to impatience, especially if they have to wait more than a day for their file to be fixed. In my defense, I have NOTHING to do with the delay. It all has to do with getting the backup from wherever the backups are kept. I have nothing to do with that other than to tell Freddy, the network guy, to get it. My bit takes all of five minutes. His bit, however, seems to take considerably longer. Either that or HE takes considerably longer to get to it.

I realize at this point that I'm just rambling, but it feels kind of good to get it out. I realized this week that I am once again a woman in a field predominately composed of men. In the IT department of this company there are four guys, and me. *SIGH* I'm sorely outnumbered. What is it with me and traditionally male fields? Hmmm...

Well, that's all I've got for today. Stay tuned for that review. I swear, I'll write it soon...

No comments: