Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Monday, March 08, 2004

The conversation continues

Dear Gini,

Thanks for your emails. I hope my Mom conveyed to you that I wasn't offended or trying to avoid you in any way! The drama at my work was pretty much all consuming last week, and I didn't have much time or energy to think about much else.

I agree with a lot of what you said in your emails. I'm really only just coming into my own in terms of religious beliefs, and part of my blog - rant was working some of those beliefs out for myself more than publishing them specifically to sway others. As a child you believe what you are told, (although I did frustrate some of my Sunday school teachers at Epiphany with questions that my Dad provoked like "What language did Adam and Eve speak?"), and as a teenager you don't believe anything or conversely, you believe something so fiercely that you try to convert everyone else to your belief. As a young adult, I had the benefit of a Catholic based college which required religion classes, and classes that took an academic rather than theologic approach to religion. I am deeply indebted to those classes now for helping to shape what I am coming to believe.

I haven't yet come into what I would describe as passionate belief, which is a category into which I would place you. I'm still looking at things a bit too logically to be in that category myself, and I may always be that way. It's a character trait of mine that I have always, and probably will always have. And I still find that I have an aversion to some of the more sordid details of Christian beliefs. I don't think I'm at a place in my spiritual journey where I can enter into the pain and suffering as you describe. I'm still trying to come to grips with the good things, let alone the bad.

You've always helped me so much, whether you knew it or not. You've been a real role model for me as a kind, generous, truly spiritual person, and I try to emulate you in many ways. Thank you so much for responding to my rant and giving me the benefit of your beliefs once again.

With ALL my love,
~Lacy

No comments: