Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Monday, May 23, 2005

boogie woogie

I learned to boogieboard this weekend!

My friend Rebecca who grew up here offered to teach me. So, we met at Crystal Cove state park (my favorite beach round these here parts) on Saturday and she brought her fins and her board and we went to town. Actually, we did a lot of other stuff before we went to town. We walked all up and down the beach, probably more than two miles round trip, played in the tide pools, found crabs, fish, anemones, and two gigantic sea cucumbers, decided to go get some lunch at this place called the Shake Shack that is about fifty years old and is exactly what it sounds like -- a shack on the cliff overlooking the ocean, then we took a little rest, and THEN we boogie boarded. It took that long to work up the courage to do any more than wade into the very cold water. VERY COLD.

Anyway, Rebecca showed me what to do, and I gave it a try. Honestly, I think I had more trouble with the swim fins she wanted me to wear than with the actually boogie boarding. The timing is also a little tricky, but I did manage to catch two really good waves.

It was WAY fun, but today I am sore in the muscles and a little bit sunburned in odd places where I obviously didn't apply enough sunscreen including: the tops of nine out of ten of my toes (don't ask me how the pinky got away), the back of my left ankle, the backs of both of my knees (the worst burns -- OUCH!), the creases of my hips, one three inch swath of the inside of my right arm (???) and a tiny bit on the tops of my shoulders. Happily, I don't think I'll have any really obvious tan lines of doom (I was worried about this, seeing as I have a strapless wedding dress to wear at the end of the summer -- and racerback tan lines are just SO last year...). I also have several small cuts and scrapes from the bloody ROCKS hiding just under the water. Yikes.

But overall, it was way fun.

Then I came home, showered, and went out to dinner and a movie with the boy. We saw Revenge of the Sith; expect much dissection to come.

No comments: