Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

"i voted"

So, today, November second twenty-oh-four, I, Lacy Boggs have done my civic duty. I have participated in the long-running and occasionally successful public experiment we call Democracy. I voted for president, congressman, senator, state representative, mayor, city council members, county supervisor, Santa Ana Community College board of governors, and more than a dozen ballot measures. My participation involved having my polling place inexplicably changed twice, going to the wrong polling place anyway, standing in no less than three different lines, filling out a provisional ballot, and being made to wait for five additional minutes for my sticker which says "I voted."

Am I discouraged? Am I disheartened or disenfranchised by this? No, I am not, and I will tell you why.

I did not have to worry about being blown up at the elementary school where I cast my ballot.

I did not have to worry about my ability to vote -- even thought I was apparently in the wrong precinct -- being challenged by poll watchers.

I did not have to wonder if I would be discriminated against, turned away, harassed, or threatened while voting based on my gender, race, creed, or political party.

I did not have to wonder if I had any hanging chads on my ballot.

Even if we do not have a clear winner when all the votes have been tallied in the wee hours of the morning, I will not have to worry that the country will fall into civil war. Regardless of who wins and who loses in the end, the transfer of power will be made peacefully and easily, which is the true measure of the success of our democracy.

On my way to work, more than an hour later than usual, and stuck in a horrendous traffic jam, I heard on NPR about a woman in Ohio. She is 103 years old and has voted in every election since women were granted the right to vote. She made me proud of the "I voted" sticker I am wearing.

If you haven't already, go out and vote. Vote your conscience, but vote. Now more than ever, every single vote counts and every single vote makes a difference. Even a voice that is stifled makes an impact. Better to speak and be heard by a few than not to be heard at all.

No comments: