Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Friday, November 12, 2004

make a joyful noise

I think that there should be more singing in everyday life. I was in the ladies' room earlier today, and I was humming, and it echoed so nicely off the walls and tile floors that I was sorely tempted to break into song, but I resisted that temptation. Why? Well, because if anyone were to see or hear me singing in the ladies' room at work, I would probably receive a great quantity of strange looks and be known as that girl, you know, the one who sings...

But I think that we should just open up. Let it out, people! Repressing only gives you ulcers. Sing! Sing a song! Sing out loud! The whole day long!!!

Do you know why people like musicals? It's because, on some deep subconscious level, people are drawn to the idea of randomly breaking into song about everyday kinds of things: Oklahoma! Rent! Pirates! Secretly, many of us wish that our lives were like that. We long for the ability to break into song about how much we love our cats, or loathe our malfunctioning computers; we want to spontaniously errupt into perfectly choreographed dance routines with those we love, and even those we barely know. It is a deeply embedded genetic memory of a time when people who sang randomly in bathrooms, or malls, or in the workplace were not shunned as freaks or weirdos.

Did anyone see that episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer that was done as a musical? BRILLIANT! Granted, their sudden onslaught of musical and choreographic talent was the result of a suave yet undeniably maladjusted demon who liked to watch people burst into flames when they got a bit too excited about their solo number, but aside from the spontanious combustion bit, it seemed like a good deal to me! People were dancing and singing in the street! Picking up the dry cleaning became a valid excuse for bursting into song!

All I'm saying is that I think people in general would be a lot happier if they thought they could get down get down get down get down get down and boogie now and again without the social reprecussions we now know are there. Singing is good for you! It frees the mind and enlivens the soul!

So do yourself a favor, and sing to someone today. They'll look at you with an expression of mild perplexion and thank you for it.

1 comment:

A. Diabetic Person said...

I sing in public all the time. Granted, I start singing before I realize it and don't stop myself in time.
Still, I agree with you that the world is better for it. Although if life actually were like a musical, I think it would freak me out a lot.
Which is not necessarily a bad thing.