Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Monday, April 04, 2005

oh what a loverly week-end

It's raining today. Apt, perhaps, for a Monday morning, but I do have to thank the Powers that Be for holding off with the rain until today so that we could have nice weather for the weekend.

Saturday was gorgeous. It's just getting to where it's hot enough during the day that you want to be outdoors in the sunshine without a sweater. We went to the farmer's market in the morning and bought all kinds of yummy spring fruits and veggies -- asparagus, baby squash, avacados, bok choy, strawberries, and oranges. Then we went to TJ's to supplement our weekly groceries, which is a joy in and of itself, because I LOVE shopping at Trader Joe's. I just do. This week's exciting find: spinach and tofu egg rolls in the frozen section. Then, while Brandon went into the lab for a few hours, I went out and bought a strapless top for the sole purpose of sitting in the sun -- I refuse to have a farmer's tan for my wedding! So I took the computer and went and sat by the pool for a while to soak up some good old vitamin D. The really exciting thing is that there are several unprotected networks in range of the pool onto which I can sneak. The upshot of this is that I can surf the internet while sitting by the pool. How freaking Californian is that?? I love it.

Saturday night we went down the Irvine Spectrum -- a huge outdoor mall. We had dinner at The Cheesecake Factory, and then wandered around happily for a while.

Sunday was nice, but a little cooler. Not quite so well suited for staying outdoors, so we practically -- but not very excitingly -- decided to stay home and do our taxes. Scary.

The scariest thing about my taxes this year was that, for the first time in my entire tax-filing life, I lived in only one state and had only one job. And the amount of income I earned from said job was a respectable adult amount, and not a piddly $5,000 here, $8,000 there the way most of my adult life has been.

Scary.

Also, it was vaguely amusing to me to discover that I owed $3.31 in state taxes. First of all, state taxes are new to me as Texas, where I've always filed before, does not have a state tax. And second, it was just bloody amusing to write a three dollar check for my taxes.

I will not, saddly, be getting a refund this year, but Brandon, being the poor college student that he is (at least for a few more months) is getting a nice fat return. I asked him what he was going to do with it, and he said, "Travel to France."

Sweet boy. Gotta love him. =)

No comments: