Baby Bean is Growing

 BabyFruit Ticker

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

memories... in the corners of my mind...

I gacked this idea from Allison's Blog.

"I have decided to show you - the nameless, faceless, internet masses - a small slide show of my life. With words, not pictures... This is how this is going to work, I am going to start with an early memory and move forward in time to the present. Fun, huh?!"


Well, my internet masses are much less nameless and faceless, but I thought it would be interesting to do anyway. =)



I remember sitting on the porch at my Great Grandmother's house in Michigan drinking hot tea and eating molasses cookies with my Mom while it rained and feeling terribly grown up. I also remember stairs set into a hill in her back yard, a basement with a folding table, a little vase, and some wildflowers that occupied me for hours and the swing set in the back yard next door.

I remember that it was raining on my first day of kindergarten.

I remember being in the gifted and talented program in elementary school, and one year our class planned a trip to Mars. We had to work out what kind of supplies we needed, how much food and water and oxygen, how to split up the work, those kinds of things. And, I remember I had just read "Ender's Game," and so I was CONVINCED for a while that it was all actually real and they were really going to send us, a group of 4th-6th graders to Mars.

I remember stealing Allison's shoe in choir in junior high and, instead of giving it back to her at the end of the period, sticking it in my backpack and going off to my next class, which happened to be Geometry. I remember we had a quiz that day, and half way through it, the door opened, and in came Allison, clomping lopsidedly in one shoe and one sock. She walked right up to my desk and stuck out her hand. Without a word, I handed her her shoe, and she turned around and left. The Geometry teacher looked at me for a count of about twenty and then said, "I don't want to know."

I remember in ninth grade English class we studied Romeo and Juliet, and the teacher broke us up into groups to "interpret" certain scenes from the play. My group got the death scene, and we "interpreted" it like we were all Valley Girls/Boys. I was the priest, and I remember one of my lines was something like, "Dude, I've been trippin' over tombstones this night."

I remember, that same year, Allison and I came up with a list of more than a hundred unusual names for my friend Jessie to name her ferret. I still have that list on my bulletin board in my room at my parents' house.

I remember, in high school, I broke into a teacher's office one day because I needed a key to another room. I did it by climbing out the second story window onto a ledge, walking along the ledge, and climbing in his office window.

I remember, in high school, everyone thought I was a total wallflower and little Molly Milktoast until I was directing the filming of the school talent show and cussed out my crew when they weren't doing what I asked. After that, my best friend Charlie gave me the nickname "Uberbitch." And it stuck.

I remember, about two weeks into my freshman year at college, my roommate and her friend invited me to go with them to a play in the theater at midnight. So we all went, and it was a bunch of comedy skits. About half way through, this guy ran through the theater wearing nothing but a bandana around his head and a pair of socks. I remember thinking, "Wow. I'm really a college student now."

I remember in college on the first day back to classes from the summer, I was walking across the quad, and I heard someone scream, "WHO LET THE BOGGS OUT???" I turned and saw my friend Aaron running across the quad at me. When he got to me, I said, "You've been waiting all summer to use that, haven't you?" He grinned, and said, "Yup."

I remember going to see "Evil Dead" at the movie theater at my school because Bruce Campbell was supposed to come talk about it, and my friend Suzanne was inordinately excited, and claimed she was going to ask him to sign her bra. He didn't show, but we had a really good time laughing at the movie.

I remember, after I graduated from college, my whole family was sitting around watching me open graduation gifts, and my boyfriend Brandon gave me a tiny little box. His mom about had a heart attack, because she thought he was going to propose. He didn't. =)

And finally...

I remember, just this past summer, trying on this wedding dress at a store, being given a bouquet of fake roses, a veil and a pair of shoes, and being led in front of a big three way mirror. The saleslady said, "Take a good look. Brides don't get to see themselves this way, but this is what your fiance will see when he looks at you for the first time at the other end of that aisle." I broke down in tears right then and there and knew it was the right dress for me!!

=D

Hey Al, that was kind of fun! Good way to get the writing juices flowing. =)

No comments: